• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Videos » Carson's Arrival in Belfast
Carson's Arrival in Belfast
CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 6:20 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...

Ahttp://www.britishpathe.com/video/arrival-of-sir-edward-carson-in-belfast/query/belfastRRIVAL OF SIR EDWARD CARSON IN BELFAST

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 6:48 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Brilliant, and by the waving of the hats, an expression of the passion of our forefathers for the loyalist cause.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 9:46 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
A good clip alright.And the atmosphere must have been electric.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2012-02-22, 11:00 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...

ORANGEMEN DEMONSTRATE

ULSTER'S PARLIAMENT

ULSTER'S NEW LEADERS

PEACE MAY POSSIBLY BE IN SIGHT

IRELAND'S PARLIAMENT

STATE OPENING OF ULSTER PARLIAMENT - PATHE VERSION

ULSTER'S GUARDIANS OF PEACE

height="264" />

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2012-02-23, 0:22 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Load ...
Some great footage, just imagine how great it would be in sound and colour etc. smile

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-02-23, 1:19 AM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes the sound especially is missed (and colour too). I think hearing the speeches and the roar of the crowds would be brilliant. Not sure if that first one is Orangemen. It says so but it mentions also that they could be Foresters. The policemen seem to have like the London peelers helmet on. The night policemen in Belfast wore like a London peelers helmet. Maybe they were called up to help. Or maybe that was what the ordinary cop wore in those days.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-02-23, 1:25 AM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...

ULSTER'S GREAT DAY

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2012-02-23, 3:12 AM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Load ...
Craig was a man who really seemed to speak with passion, pity we'll never see crowds like that on parade again, absolutely fantastic.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2012-02-23, 11:27 PM | Message # 9
Generalissimo
Load ...
Both Craig and Carson were men who 'put their money where their mouth was' so to speak. Craig especially was a great Ulsterman and though he gave a recognition to the irish side of things he came across as a man to whom Ulster was first. It says on his tombstone ''a great Ulsterman'. That about sums him up. Carson though a Dubliner lies in the Cathedral and in his coffin is soil from the six counties of Ulster. He was an Ulsterman too in all but birth. And of course we must not forget Crawford. The treble Cs who served Ulster and its loyal people.

Heres a clip which is mostly about Redmond and his crowd,but there is a piece with Carson on it which I think is worth a look as it shows Edward Carson smiling. I'd never saw him in any photo smiling,suppose because of the times they were going though it was all serious business at that time.

AN IRISH SOLUTION IN VIEW - MR REDMOND & NATIONALISTS

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 0:42 AM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Load ...
Fred Crawford: "I am ashamed to call myself an Irishman. Thank God I am not one. I am an Ulsterman, a very different breed."

From the very first, I came to the conclusion that our resistance, to be successful, must eventually come to ARMED resistance... I knew that mere words were useless.... I was determined to do all in my power.. even by force if neccessary.

I predict that Home Rule will never be killed until we show any British Government which brings it forward that we will resist it to death, even with arms,if neccessary.

From these settlers sprang a people, the Ulster-Scot, who have made themselves felt in the history of the British Empire and, in no small measure, in that of the United States of America.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 3:52 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thats a brilliant post and one that shows how a great man like Fred Crawford knew who he was. As the Eagle's Wing musical said ''you know who you are''. Its a shame that this crowd today don't! What a sorry lot they are. Searching around for an identity and clinging on to a foreign one while their own is there in front of them.

Is that from a book? I know there was one published about Fred Crawford 3/4/5/ years ago. It was advertised in the NL but never got around to gettin it.

On TV last night there was reference to a book written by Brian Walker which tells of Londonderry and how a lot of what was said about the unionists was just a myth. Couldn't cach the name of it. Something like 'from protest( or partition) to peace'. That might have been the sub-title. If you hear anything about it,would appreciate if you'd let me know.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2012-02-24, 7:58 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
I found out about that book I mentioned. Its called A Political History of the Two Irelands..from partition to peace. On Amazon you can look though a few pages of it. One part stuck out. A Ronald McNeil (think it was) who has written a book on Ulster was 'pulled' at Westminster because he termed himself as an Ulsterman. He retracted and said he was an Irishmen. rolleyes I bet he was one of those who would wet their finger then hold it up to see what way the wind was blowing.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 12:59 PM | Message # 13
Colonel general
Load ...
The quotes from Crawford I took from a booklet handed out by the Ulster Scots Agency for the Covenant centenary this year.

That book you talk about, must be the same historian and book they were taking about on the Hearts and Minds Programme.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 5:52 PM | Message # 14
Generalissimo
Load ...
Cheers I'll have to look out for that booklet. The book discussed on Hearts and Minds was called The Two Political Irelands,subtitled From Partition to Peace. I'll have a look for it next time I'm at the library. The NL advertised a book about Fred Crawford a few years back. Can't remember the name.But was it from that one that the USA quoted in their booklet?

Don't like the title of Walker's book but I suppose he is right ROI and NI sad

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » Videos » Carson's Arrival in Belfast
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: