Friday, 2024-05-03, 1:10 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » Ulster Scots In America
Ulster Scots In America
CulzieDate: Sunday, 2008-08-17, 4:36 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Distinguishing features of the Ulster-Scots.

What distinguished the early immigrants was their willingness,even eagerness,to go beyond the ''outer fringe of civilisation '' and establish settlements on the frontier. Seaboard colonists considered the combative self-sufficent Ulster-Scots the perfect Indian fighters with whom to populate their exposed borders.and evidence suggests that newly arrived immigrants were deliberately shunted there to serve as a buffer against hostile natives.

Virginia legislation decreed: ''Wheras the lands....on the southern boundary of this colony are for the most part unseated and uncultivated:and a considerable number of persons......as foreign Protestants are willing to import themslves with their families and effects,and to settle upon the lands......this settling of that part of the country will add to the strength and security of the colony in general.''

Their experience as colonists in Ireland had made Ulstermen adaptable and assimilitive of the best traits needed for survival on the borders of America. Traditional Scotch-Irish farming,for example,emphasised slash-and-burn clearing of farms,corn-based cropping and the running of livestock in open woods - techniques well-suited to the southern backcountry.

Dr Wayne C.Moore, First Families of Tennessee (Register of Early Settlers) 2000

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

PalmettoPatriotDate: Tuesday, 2008-08-19, 1:55 AM | Message # 2
Group: Removed
Load ...

Where I come from (the middle of South Carolina on the fall line) basically all the native White folks, myself included of course, are at least partially Ulster-Scots. Our area had some small German communities and thus there are many like myself who are a mix of German and Scots-Irish (in the American Mid-West you see much more Germany influence - it is actually the most common ancestry in America, though that is rapidly becoming Mexican by the day thanks to Washington, DC). When you go further north in South Carolina the native White folks there are basically Ulster-Scots. Of course, mass yankee and otherwise alien migration into the State is changing all this by the day, sadly. When you get up into the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee and West Virginia, etc. the culture and people there are basically pure Ulster-Scots. Until pretty recently no outsiders lived there - just the Ulster-Scots "mountain people" as we used to call them in my family and a few Cherokee Indians. It was a very homogenous culture until very recently. The rise of Scots-Irish (the normal American word for Ulster-Scots) identity is growing. But the forces of globalism arrayed against all native cultures round the world are very powerful indeed.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2008-08-19, 7:38 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Load ...
Definitely agree there Patriot. It seems strange though, how on the one hand this is happening,while on the other hand many new and re-newed countries are being 'born'. This is happening in many places,except it seems Dixie and Ulster. Both regions seem in danger of being swamped by those from outside.

One of the things James Webb pushed for in his book,was the coming together of the Scots-Irish in America as a people. To act together in cohesion. He realised that this is hard for many of them to do,as they valued their individuality. But he thought it was the only way forward. I remember when I was doing my own piece for the Ulster-Scots a fella said something along the lines of....'well I admire what your doing,but I don't think you'll get anywhere unless you come together as a group''. I think he is right.

I seen a article on the net to do with the rise of so many new nations. It appears this is the way forward now. This is what is going to happen. If Dixie [and Ulster especially] don't get their act together we'll lose out. I believe we have to establish ourselves as a distinct and separate people first. To show are credentials to the world in that respect. That must be a priority in my opinion.

I'll post that link up. I think it is something we all must take notice of. Ignore it at our peril and perhaps demise.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2008-08-19, 7:50 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Load ...
Race and Ethnicty its called. I think its something we should all be aware of. Then decide what line we take. I don't think ignoring it altogether would be wise.

The other one is the case for an Independent Ulster. Its a very comprenhsive assement of that proposal.

http://race.eserver.org/relations-between-nations.html

http://www.ulsternation.org.uk/importance_of_being_ulster_text.htm

SlappataigDate: Tuesday, 2008-08-19, 8:23 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
the ulster scots and ulster loyalist movement has never been so documented/generally heard of, except in the mainland - other than 12th day

PalmettoPatriotDate: Tuesday, 2008-09-09, 10:42 PM | Message # 6
Load ...

Check out this article, y'all... Not sure if he's taking a stab at the marches and all on the 12th or not. The author is clearly proud of being Ulster-Scots but takes swipes at everyone it seems. Worth taking a look at though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7600000/7600592.stm

'....[R]ednecks have never had so many friends or so much attention as in 2008. Contrary to the stereotype, we are not all tobacco chewing, guffawing Southerners, but are scattered from coast to coast. Over 50% of us live in the "cultural south", which is to say places with white Southern Scots-Irish values - redneck values.... The essentials of redneck culture were brought to America by what we call the Scots Irish, after first being shipped to the Ulster Plantation, where our, uh, remarkable cultural legacy can still be seen every 12 July in Ireland.'

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2008-09-11, 2:34 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Load ...
Good article that PalmettoPatriot. It does sum us up. I can't see anybody amongst us disputing what has been said there. Your right about the 12th though. He does seem to be puttin it down a wee bit. But its 'par for the course' smile

He talks about the rednecks gettin 'put down'by the PC intelllectual lefties. Then does the same re the 12th smile But as I said we're well used to it by now. We realize that even among the rednecks its not the 'in thing'. So we've even out rednecked the rednecks. biggrin

Re the rest of the article I think he is saying that rednecks,just don't give a damm what people think of them. Stuff em, type of thing.

PalmettoPatriotDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 5:15 PM | Message # 8
Load ...

Protestant Dixie - look closely at this map and you can plainly see that America is not "one nation indivisible" and all the rest. This map shows the church denominations in 2000. It's a few years old but gives you the general idea. You see the biggest group in most of the US is Catholics. But in the South it's Baptists and in the Northern Midwest it's Lutheran (that area was settled by Germans and other Northern Europeans, many from Norway). Anyhow, I think you might find this interesting. It also clearly shows the areas of Dixie where we are being invaded by Yankees and other foreigners.

Added (2008-09-15, 5:15 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Ulster-Scots & West African Dixie - These two major groups, the Ulster-Scots and the West Africans, make up the vast majority of the people of Dixie. In every way, we are a distinct culture and land. On this map the Ulster-Scots are simply called 'Americans.' Notice how our identity is attacked as much as they can get away with. Again, it is easy to see the Mexican, Cuban and Yankee invasion of our land on this map too.

Message edited by PalmettoPatriot - Monday, 2008-09-15, 5:16 PM

SlappataigDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 5:53 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
Load ...
still sad to see so many of ulster stock call theirselves irish

PalmettoPatriotDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 6:00 PM | Message # 10
Load ...

Yeah. The majority ethnically Irish areas are in the Northeast - in New York, Boston, Phili... that area. Though there are of course some Irish and some Ulster-Scots everywhere... I'm just referring to the concentrations of the peoples.

SlappataigDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 8:13 PM | Message # 11
Colonel
Load ...
sorry to go off topic but PP's avatar reminded me - next time at att knutts coner market ill be getting one of those "TSWRA" flags, as the man who runs the "loyal stall" has a few happy

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 8:50 PM | Message # 12
Generalissimo
Load ...
According to that ancestery map,doesn't seem to many irish shown in comparision to the rest. As said seems to be only up at the N.E corner. Unless I'm gittin my colours mixed-up smile The Germans seem to be many on the ground and a lot of Afro-Americans in the Southern States..

I read a while ago that they expected that the Protestant faith would cease to be the biggest faith since the founding of the country in another ten years or so. With all the Mexicans now flowing in and the Irish and Italians already there,this is not suprising. I think a blind man could see what organisation stands to benefit from this. But looking at Dixie on the map it does give some hope.

Looking at the two maps it would appear that a good number of Afro-Americans [as they term them] would be Baptists.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 8:58 PM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Load ...
Looking at the religious map again the RCs seem to cover by far the bigger part of America.....in area anyway.

PalmettoPatriotDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 9:09 PM | Message # 14
Load ...

Yes, most Blacks are Baptists. A few are some other demoninations but the vast majority of them are Baptists. Blacks make up varying percentages of Southern States. In general, the former cotton States have a much higher percentage. And the Appl. Mt States have far less. SC is about 30-35% Black. That's the 2nd highest of any State - only Mississippi has a higher percentage. But those are two of the most conservative and hard-core States as well. Anyhow, there are entire counties in North Carolina and TN with none or perhaps only one or two families of Blacks - those areas never grew cotton or really much of anything else so there were never plantations there.

You're right, there aren't really too many Irish folks spread out cross the whole of America. Some are, of course. But not many. Scottish and Ulster-Scots folks are largely concentrated as the map shows in the South, though also in other areas.

You can see from the maps that basically half or more of Texas is already lost. The same goes for Florida and Virginia is quickly getting that way. So are GA, SC and SC. Alabama and Mississippi and Arkansas and Tennessee might be the strongest States left.

Added (2008-09-15, 9:09 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Anyone want to take a guess at what the most English (by ethnicity) State in America is???

CulzieDate: Monday, 2008-09-15, 9:19 PM | Message # 15
Generalissimo
Load ...
Well I've never really read up on it P.P. so its a complete 'shot in the dark',but most people would say New Hampshire. Probably because of the name. But seeing as where your from......I'll go for S.C. Bet I'm well out. cry

Forum » ..:: History ::.. » History of the ulster scots » Ulster Scots In America
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: