Saturday, 2024-05-18, 1:10 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
SlappataigDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 6:18 PM | Message # 16
Colonel
Group: Checked
Load ...
DUP promoting irishness, again. The OO's basically useless and havent had a backbone in 20 years.

gut wrenching is right - although there still is folk about that genuinely care about our country and have the exact same views as us.

http://www.ulsterdefenceleague.info wink

Message edited by Slappataig - Sunday, 2010-08-01, 6:19 PM

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 10:34 PM | Message # 17
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
Aye I was fair scunnered when I read that headline in the paper. Could you vote for any of them? sad

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2010-08-01, 10:46 PM | Message # 18
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Yes the fenians will always move towards the extremes, even Gerry Adams being exposed of covering up child abuse within his own family and putting his brother into a position were he came into regular contact with children didn't hinder Sinn Fein's vote in West Belfast at the last election which increased.

When it comes to parading band parades are easy to handle. Most band parades take place at the weekends in predominately Protestant villages or town centres that otherwise would have very few people knocking about them. In Belfast most of the parades are in loyalist housing estates and require very little policing etc. Off-course there is the odd controversial one but nothing as bad as say the policing costs for the tour of the north or 12th at Ardoyne. And the band parades are one central event, you don't have feeder parades happening left right and centre and with the 12th being held on the 12th July unless it falls on a Sunday the parade causes distruption to the Central Bussiness district and it would be in the interests of the Government to have it shifted to a Saturday for less disruption to bussiness. Unlike St Paddys day etc, the twelfth practically affects the whole Province and costs a lot of money to police and in the imagination of the social engineers and puppets in Westminster and some within our own civil adminstration does a lot to damage community relations by Orangemen looking to parade in areas that were once Protestant but now traditionally R.C. and that just won't do in this time of mutral respect and tolerance to ones fellow man.

With the exception of Armagh and Belfast twelfths plenty of bandsmen and spectators especially young men will tell you that there twelfths are boring and they prefer some of the bigger band parades like KVFB in Markethills and Dunloys, Easy Belfast Protestant Boys or Brian Robinson parade etc, many will say Derry Day is the best parade of the year i'd agree it's a great day but years ago I think it use to be held on the 12th August and the burning a Lundy has been shifted down to first saturday in December etc.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-08-02, 5:14 PM | Message # 19
Generalissimo
Load ...
I think thats a big difference between the two peoples. They find no harm in lying and covering up,they see it as all part of their life,wheras Prods(in the true sense of the word) find this difficult to do. Maybe it all boils down to the Reformation where it is a personal thing between man/women and their Maker. I'm not saying that Prods are angels,but they are more reluctant to behave as republican rc's do. It may have something to do with the confessional,where a priest can tell you ''your sins are forgiven''.

I believe there were those within the loyalist community who pushed the band scene ie ..you don't need the O.O. to have parades ...hold your own. This had an knock-on affect of the O.O. losinf potential members. Its a good move,one which I think the goverment social engineers were involved in. I can remember hearing that sort of talk in some clubs I may have visited. We have to remember that not all 'loyalists' came from a traditional loyalist background.

I never ever found the 12th boring on the contrary each 12th that came along I felt the blood stirring as the sound of the bands reached the house I lived in early on the 12th morning as they made their way to the master's house. I was a string boy and was always scared of missing the parade,telling my daddy that we were late and him reassuring me that me that we had still plenty of time and adding ''I wish I you would be up as quick for school in the morning.'' smile But I realise we are living in different days and there are so many more attractions for young people to get involved in. Hopefully there are still those who have belief in their forefathers and their cause.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

SlappataigDate: Wednesday, 2010-08-04, 10:02 AM | Message # 20
Colonel
Load ...
Quote (Culzie)
Maybe it all boils down to the Reformation where it is a personal thing between man/women and their Maker. I'm not saying that Prods are angels,but they are more reluctant to behave as republican rc's do. It may have something to do with the confessional,where a priest can tell you ''your sins are forgiven''.

ive always thought about that, the mentality of the 2 nations are so different, and i think it all lies with the "dont worry, we will get forgiving later" attitude of the papists.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2010-08-09, 3:36 PM | Message # 21
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes we are two peoples in temperment ,belief,culture and tradition etc. But there are those within the Protestant community who want to take us away from that and replace it with a ''one size fits all' identity.

And of course the RC church has a history behind it which even Hitler didn't match in all his mass genocide. My uncle told me of a programme he watched on TV in which an ira man from earlier time started to get pangs of conscience over what he had did in the past. He went to the priest and told him. The priest said did you believe you were right in what you did. The man says yes I did. The priest tapped him on the backside and says....away you go and forget about it.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2010-08-17, 7:47 PM | Message # 22
Generalissimo
Load ...
I think this is what the 'unionists' want dropped. I seen this in Lidl's. They are actually promoting Ulster stuff (though they have Eire stuff too) while the crowd we have are shunning it. What a sorry lot they are. They certainly don't give a damm about Ulster. To think how Craig especially promoted Ulster,and how Carson told Kitchener that 'Ulster' must be in the name of the Division. Lundy wasn't as bad as Robinson and Empey.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2010-08-18, 11:28 PM | Message # 23
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Our own community are the biggest problem out. Can you imagine a Catholic school in Belfast giving young roman catholics lessons in loyalist band culture?........... Off-course it wouldn't happen, in contrast in South Belfast young Prods are being encouraged to play GAA in school, now it's spreading to Fermanagh and all these integrated schools the majority of them which would still be majority Protestant in terms of the religious make-up of their students etc.

Even ordinary cafes have dropped the Ulster fry, it's now just a fry, althrough Irish stew is still clearly marked as Irish stew etc... We're in a situation were the prods who don't like the hassle have backed down with anything relating to Ulster, because they don't want to be controversial or offend anyone, yet the Irish their proud of who they are and if you don't like it your just a bigot, fair play to them, wish our community would stand up for themselves a bit more, and cry and whinge over every little issue, would certainly make people think again, iit's the same with the English, in tower hamlets a few years ago the local council on St Georges day held a Bengali folk festival to celebrate such an important day in an Englishmans culture, no-where in the Island of Ireland would dare do that with their St Patricks day celebrations.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-08-20, 2:34 PM | Message # 24
Generalissimo
Load ...
Your on the money RSAUB. You've summed up a lot of people on the Protestant/unionist side. I had sorta of an idea when they got the trouble stopped the floodgates would open with the deluge heading in the one direction.

It has crossed my mind that those who may not be doing this for vain glory reasons,might think they are playing a clever game by going 'native',but history doesn't bear this out...

'In course of time ''the English lords would not suffer the English laws to be put in execution within their territories and seigniories,but in place thereof,both they and their people embraced the Irish customs: then the estate of things,like a game at Irish,was so turned about as the English,which hoped to make a perfect conquest of the Irish,were by them perfectly and absolutely conquered......'' Sir John Davies: 'A Discovery'

'In the course of the fourthteenth century these Anglo-Norman invaders,now rich and powerful,were becoming absorbed into the life of the country,their tennants were for the most part Irish and ''with them they married,and fostered and made gossips; so as within one age the English,both lords and freeholders,became degenerate and mere Irish in their language,in their apparel,in their arms and manner of fight and all the other customs of life whatsoever.''..Sir John Davis: 'A Discovery'

'Nothing has hindered this Goverment more than the placing therein young and needy persons who enter into any disorders for gain's sake even to the very counterfeiting of the Irishry themselves''...Perrot's Project

'A commentary on the plantation in many parts of Ireland may be found in a publication dated 1697 in which the writer refers to the 'degeneration' of the English in Ireland. ''We cannot so much wonder at this'' he states ''when we consider how many there are of the children of Oliver's(Cromwell) soldiers who cannot speak one word of English. And (which is strange) the same may be said of some of the children of King William's soldiers who came but t'other day into the country. ''Tis sure that no Englishman in Ireland knows what his children may be as things are now; they cannot welll live in the country without growing Irish''. A letter to the Hon Robert Molesworth (1697)

Woodburn states that many of the sons of Cromwell's soldiers fought on the Irish side in the Williamite war.

To break the connection with England to unite the whole people of Ireland,and to abolish the name of Protestant,Catholic and Dissenter and substitute the common name of Irishmen. Wolfe Tone

For whatever the reason the Anglo-Normans were sucked into a green bog,and came out wearing Irish clothes and speaking Irish. Macrory...The Siege of Derry

The reference to 'mere' Irish. That word 'mere' comes from the Latin and has a differnent meaning to the usual one today.

CulzieDate: Wednesday, 2010-09-15, 9:28 PM | Message # 25
Generalissimo
Load ...
Seems Orkney people know the score about there own place. If only we did about ours.

News Letter Travel Sat August 7 2010

A few things before we begin.... first off,its not The Orkney Isles,nor are they The Orkney Isles or The Isles of Orkney: it's Orkney.

So much was explained to me by a helpful Orcadian as soon as I took my seat on the plane for the 30-minute flight from Aberdeen to Kirkwall. She said calling the 70 islands - of which 20 are inhabited - that lie 10 miles off the Caithness coast in northern Scotland - The Orkneys was like calling it The Yorkshires or The Lancashires.Orkney is a country and the name embraces all the islands.

Oh, and another thing: Orcadians are that first and Scots a poor second. Indeed,so fiercely independent are they that the 'mainland' is the largest of the islands and Scotland is merely 'south'. They are from a heady mix of Mesolithic,Neolithic,Pict and Norse lineage and want you to know as much.

Contrast that with the typical Ullish person living in the north part of this island. Could you imagine them putting somebody right as happened in the above. Doubtful.

SlappataigDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 11:52 AM | Message # 26
Colonel
Load ...
i know i would, and anybody i would call a friend, would.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 1:02 PM | Message # 27
Generalissimo
Load ...
Thats something positive then Slappa. Maybe some people at least are aware of these things. Good news.

Browsing on the net I came across a couple of references to Ullish. Not sure in what sense they are being used but it does show that its been around for a while especially the reference to the Saxon monks. Saxons were a Germanic people and the connection with Scandinavia is there. Maybe this should have been on the Ulster,Ullish,Ullapool,Ullswater thread. smile

Brian Is it possible to have it display your ethnic identity on your profile, but not the country associated with it? For example, all my Irish ancestors came from the region of Ulster, but some were from what is now Northern Ireland and some were from what is now the Republic of Ireland. If I were to choose just Irish, it would display the Republic flag, so I added Ullish as my ethnic group so that it would represent my Ullish heritage from both nations. However, on my profile it shows Irish and Ullish seperately.

http://vupload.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2528261089&topic=3510

We know that there were other Saxon monks settled in the general south east Co. Limerick/ south west Co. Tipperary area; Both Oola [alternatively named Hulle, Wlys, Ullene, Ovillin, Ullish, and Ulloe]

http://homepage.eircom.net/~archaeology/saxons.htm

William Earl Uí Siadhail - High Deputy, heir to the Irish, Ullish, and Meath throne and the House of Siadhail, King of Leinster, unmarried

The Ó Néill looked at the lords of Ulster, each proudly wearing the symbol of the Red Hand. He roared in Ullish, "ULSTERMEN, WHAT SAY YOU!" The lords proudly yelled "Never!" in Ullish. The Ó Néill chuckled and smiled, "It seems Ulster stands with Great King William."

http://s3.zetaboards.com/nationstates/topic/7348166/1/

ULSTER FOR THE ULLISH!

SlappataigDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 7:56 PM | Message # 28
Colonel
Load ...
^ that sites a role playing like site full of fanfiction, fake stories.... surprised cry

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2010-09-16, 10:13 PM | Message # 29
Generalissimo
Load ...
Aye the last one came across that way,though he does use the word Ullish and I'm suprised he was even aware of it. But then it was in the first two as well which were in a more serious mode I would say.

SlappataigDate: Friday, 2010-09-17, 11:22 AM | Message # 30
Colonel
Load ...
mustve been one who knew the score that wrote it.
wasnt you? happy

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Search: