Saturday, 2024-05-18, 12:32 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
CulzieDate: Friday, 2010-09-17, 1:26 PM | Message # 31
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
No definitely not Slappa. I did a search using the word Ullish,and thats what I found. I'm still convinced that there is a Norse connection. As I said on the Ullapool,Ullswater thread looking at a map I came across an Ulsta in the Shetland Islands and it is strongly Norse. I believe the Ully/Uladh tribe who gave their name to Ulster could very well be of Norse/Pictish origin and not Gaelic

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-01-11, 2:37 PM | Message # 32
Generalissimo
Load ...
Well Mr Robinson and Mr Empey will not need to INSIST on anything this time. I'm sure they'll be will pleased to see that its already happening in this case. The first time in my life that I ever heard this stretch of water referred to as this. And so it goes on

Belfast Telegraph Wednesday January 5 2011 by Donna Deeney

Anne Marie makes a splash with global swimming prize

A 44-YEAR-OLD woman who swam from Northern Ireland to Scotland has made a major splash after being named the World Open Water Female Swimmer of the Year.

Anne Marie scooped more than 47% of the total vote organised by Open Water Swimming.

The Co Donegal health care worker was shortlisted in November for her heoic efforts in swimming the Irish Channel between Co Antrim and Scotland.

The Health Care worker is one of of only 11 people to successfully conquer the notorious 18-mile stretch of water.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-01-15, 2:12 PM | Message # 33
Generalissimo
Load ...
Everything is falling into place nicely thank you very much. smile thumbup

Parties unite to call for St Patrick's Day holiday
Saturday, 15 January 2011

Leading nationalist and unionist politicians have called on the Government to make St Patrick's Day a public holiday in Northern Ireland.

March 17 is known around the world as the day to celebrate Ireland's patron saint, but while it is a full public holiday in the Irish Republic, it is only a bank holiday north of the border.

Leader of the nationalist SDLP Margaret Ritchie has written to Secretary of State Owen Paterson on the issue, and her call for a change has been backed by Democratic Unionist MP Ian Paisley Junior.

Ms Ritchie is MP for South Down, where St Patrick is reputed to be buried in the grounds of the Church of Ireland's Down Cathedral in the town of Downpatrick.

"Patrick is one thing that we can all, Catholic and Protestant, unite around in Northern Ireland," she said.

"His legacy unites us all and he is a unifying figure in Northern Ireland.

"He is a symbol of reconciliation and a symbol of unity between communities."

She said Mr Paterson should back her calls for action on marking the day with a public holiday. The SDLP leader said the move was long overdue.

A conference will be held in the St Patrick's Centre tourist facility in March. The venue is next to where the saint is said to be buried and it is hoped the event will act as a launch-pad for raising the profile of the ecclesiastical history surrounding Patrick's story.

Conflicting accounts of his history have mingled with myth over the centuries.

The young Patrick was said to have been kidnapped at the age of 16 in Britain and brought to Ireland as a slave, before he escaped, only to return to Ireland as a missionary.

Ms Ritchie said: "It is a sleeping giant for tourism."

Her call for a public holiday was backed by Mr Paisley, whose father had previously made a similar call.

But Mr Paisley Jnr wanted to put his own constituency on Patrick's historical map.

"I think it is actually my party's policy to have a public holiday," he said.

"St Patrick was a prototype Protestant, so why would anyone have any problem."

And in a sign of the competition between the regions that lay claim to the saint's legacy, he added: "And he lived on Slemish mountain near Ballymena in my constituency, so even better... I know there is some myth he had something to do with Downpatrick."

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-01-16, 2:30 AM | Message # 34
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
The Irish Channel?

Suppose the Irish have always been very good at making a lie up and making it stick, re-branding everything.

Margaret Ritchie is right, it is something that can be used to “unite Protestants and Catholics” and is just another part of the blending in process, as for the DUP just more useless populist politics, they are thinking more of people thinking they’ve got them another day of work, rather than the long term damage they are doing to our community. Might sound over-dramatic, but a wee bit here and a wee bit there all adds up and is a slow drip towards the destruction of Ulster.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-16, 2:16 PM | Message # 35
Generalissimo
Load ...
As I may have mentioned,at one time I was writing down the changes which were going on. The things we once had but no longer had. In the end I didn't bother as there were so many and it was disheartening. I thought if these things were highlighted then people (politicans especially) would not stand for it anymore,but its the opposite they are actually going out of their way to embrace these changes. I can understand the Westminster masters pushing this agenda,but there was no need for the loyalist community to be part of this agenda. However,they are going out of their way to be involved...filthy lucre again maybe.

I seen in the NL last week that NI wanted to enter a hockey team for the next Commonwealth Games. It was turned down by the world hockey authorities. Do those in hockey etc not realise when they set out on a course of an all-ireland set-up what the consquences would be. At one time you had the choice of playing for GB or Ireland that choice was taken away a few years back as far as I know. Rugby (a league) too was organised on an NI basis at one time, this too changed just before hockey did the same. Kate Hoey complained about NI young tennis players not being part of the British Coaching system as Andy Murray was. She was told that as they were Irish they were part of the Irish Coaching system and should apply to them re coaching. It amazes me how people in politics are not aware of this and are blind to the future when they go down this road of all-ireland arrangements.

Paddy's Day is a National Holiday in Eire. If this goes ahead (abley supported by Paisley and others) it will eventually be referred to as a National Holiday for the whole island. And so it goes on.

RSAUBDate: Wednesday, 2011-01-19, 6:23 PM | Message # 36
Colonel general
Load ...
Unfortunately in today’s modern age, people care more about sport than politics and it is seen as a way of showing your patriotism. So its sad to hear about the hockey team, I never knew about it and dare I say it, mostly grammar schools play hockey, so I’d imagine from what I’ve seen of the location and who plays hockey that it is traditionally middle class Protestants, so I’d imagine most of those who will be eligible to play at the Olympics will be from our community.

Same goes for cricket, a good few of the Irish cricket team are Ulster Protestants. With rugby, the blending in process has occurred over many years, I know quite a few Ulster Prods especially up in the North Coast area who are big fans of the Irish rugby team and regularly attend the matches and it’s disheartening and sad seeing them walk around in a Irish rugby regalia. Before our football team started to improve, the time we went for ages before Sanchez took charge without scoring a goal, there was a hell of a lot a talk of a All Ireland football team, thankfully as the team improved and the Republic got worse, this talk started to dry up, but things like this Setanta cup and our local league retaining its name as the Irish League is a major rope around our necks.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-01-20, 7:57 PM | Message # 37
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its seems to me RSAUB when we come under apparent physical threat that its Ulster this and Ulster that then when that threat APPEARS to go away it reverts back to British NIrish and even Irish. I don't think they have the will and courage to be of Ulster, they need to cling onto another identity. Don't forget Gibney said that there was a better chance of persuading those who classed themselves as British-Irish into the Irish fold.

That about the hockey was about a week ago (maybe two) in the NL. But its ongoing in other ways hardly noticed cause they are a small happening. I noticed that the man who fell though ice in Lurgan Park and eventually died had an Irish Coastguard helicopter in attendance. This at a time when they were talking of closing the coastguard down here. OK any port in a storm and ifs to save a life,but I'm sure it could have been managed to have aBritish helicopter there. Just a small thing I know but another link in the chain...to Eire.?

RSAUBDate: Friday, 2011-01-21, 10:26 PM | Message # 38
Colonel general
Load ...
If your Northern Irish, your Irish. It's that simple.

The blending in process is in full swing as for the threat level, yes the threat of violence is no-where near the same level, but the threat of Irish conquest over Ulster is at an all time high, with more and more once staunchly loyalist areas being integrated and eventually took over in the changing demographics.

I think it was you said that they would take Ulster without a shot being fired. While in a political sense a United Ireland might be a long way a way, but culturally and at a ground level, it's being pulled from right below our feet.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-01-22, 5:52 PM | Message # 39
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yes it is simple RASUB but its suprising how many can't see that.or maybe its more that they don't want to see it. I see southern Sudan has voted to split from the north. It will be interesting to see what way that pans out.

The blending in process was the subject of an article in the BT and that was before the Belfast Agreement. Some professor/doctor something advocated this and it looks like the unionist politicans have taken it on board. The same politicans who said they were acting under duress when they went into goverment with the shinners. They definitely didn't look and act like people who were reluctant to be involved with the shinners.

Its all a scam on the loyal people of Ulster. They didn't have to be pally-wally with them. The Westminsters masters could certainly have brought in legislation and the unionists politicans didn't need to do anything to make it easier for them by recieving McAleese and the hundreds of other bits of knee-bending they have done.

We have certainly moved a long long way from the stance of Belfast Lord Mayor Herbie Ditty when he refused to meet his Dublin counterpart.

I see McAleese was on the Newtownards Rd recently and was met by all the 'great and good' from East Belfast who I think included Mervyn Gibson. There is no doubt about it,people are fickle and will come to accept the once unacceptable.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-23, 1:56 PM | Message # 40
Generalissimo
Load ...
The boiling frog

The boiling frog story is a widespread anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually.[1] According to contemporary biologists the premise of the story is not literally true; an actual frog submerged and gradually heated will jump out.[2][3] However, some 19th century research experiments suggested that the underlying premise is true, provided the heating is gradual enough.[4][5]

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-01-24, 0:01 AM | Message # 41
Colonel general
Load ...
That Boiling Frog might as well be the Ulster Protestant community.

As a community we are known for the odd knee-jerk reaction, but things that happen over a gradual period, like the greening of Ulster and we just sit idly by.

I look at East Belfast, Prods fought against Short Strand, to keep those Protestant streets beside Short Strand from falling into republican hands yet when the fenians gradually one house at a time buy property and move into once staunchly loyalist parts of East Belfast, the same loyalist paramilitaries that fought to keep Cluan Place etc Protestant soil, sit with their hands on their pints talking about how super loyalist East Belfast is.

That’s not a dig at East Belfast, it’s the same throughout Ulster. In Coleraine, the main loyalist housing estates are around 20-30% Roman Catholic. In Londonderry the prods fight to maintain the fountain, a fight that’s worth fighting and to keep Irish Street safe from republicans in the Waterside, yet the taigs are moving in and now make up the majority. We need to wake up, the few loyalist heartlands that we have left are being taken over before our eyes, yet we are told that the future of this Country is safe. Well sorry for being a non-conformist idiot with my head stuck up my backside, but the reality is demographics is destiny and if people can’t understand that simple fact, then fuck them their opinions and political outlook in my mind is seriously flawed.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-01-24, 5:30 PM | Message # 42
Generalissimo
Load ...
The Boiling Frog is a good metaphor for what is happening. And the aul saying 'there are none as blind as those who don't want to see' fits the people you speak of. I'm sorry to say that I honestly can't see the trend and attitudes changing so perhaps its a good time to raise the question of consenus. We had a majority for years and a democratically elected goverment but we were told this wasn't enough....that there had to be consenus among the people. So we should be taking that stance too.

I have said it before how it used to bug me when unionists politicans taunted the shinners by saying 'wheres your mandate?' and refusing to talk to them because they hadn't a mandate. It was just a matter of time before they would get one. History has shown us that. But it looks like unionist politicans don't do history.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-01-27, 1:42 AM | Message # 43
Colonel general
Load ...
Unionists need to fight sinn fein politically all the way without consistently being on the back foot. They are elected by the majority of the population in certain areas, so they have to be taken on head first, rather than by burying our heats in the sand. Our lot have to start working and fighting for our community rather than relying on same old rhetoric to get themselves re-elected with.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-01-27, 7:12 PM | Message # 44
Generalissimo
Load ...
Too True and its hard to keep on being taken for granted regarding voting. Maybe if everybody didn't bother voting for them they'd get the message. But even thats doubtful. Ther'e a hopeless and lazy bunch. You would think when Sandy Row was being gerrymandered they would have fought like hell to have houses built plus houses to suit young families. On a self-interest basis alone it would have been to their advantage as it would have meant more votes for them. But they are lazy,laid back wasters. They are not fighters.

Captain LPS Orr was the MP for South Down as was later Enoch Powell. When the seat went to Eddie McGrady he said ''the border has now moved to Belfast''. Its a continuing back-peddling and most of its due to their incompentence,lack of pre-planning, organisation and backbone.

RSAUBDate: Thursday, 2011-01-27, 10:15 PM | Message # 45
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, a few specific individuals within the unionist parties are great activists and hard workers, but on the whole as has been said, they lack vision, political strategy and are constantly on the back-foot by their sheer own incompetence to comprehend what’s going on around them.

I have thought myself that if they didn’t get re-elected that it might make them shape up, but unfortunately there is just to much dead-wood or long standing family friendships at local branch levels that in many cases leads to the most capable individual candidate not being selected in place of some eejits who have the support of his or her like click within the branch. People that play games like that, when it comes to selecting the figureheads to lead the political fight for Ulster and are people, are nothing but vermin, who are playing with the fate of this nation.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Search: