Saturday, 2024-05-18, 12:59 PM
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: RSAUB  
Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-01-28, 4:31 PM | Message # 46
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Load ...
RSAUB to the point mate and deadwood is true as is the old family connection thing. Its just come to my head now re that sort of thing that I read in the NL this morning that Tom Elliott's cousin is standing for the TUV. They are in the same lodge and go to the same church. Bit awkward I would think when they meet up.

Anyway as you say the most capable are ignored and I suppose get pissed-off and retire to the sidelines. But I believe this does show one thing, those who block them, the future of Ulster is not their prime concern. They probably get bogged down in the politics of their branch and lose sight of their main reason for being there.

Don't know much about him but I did read a wee article about Garabaldi the Italian leader. After he had secured Italy as a country his followers wanted him to take up the reins of office and run the country. He declined saying he was just a patriot for his country and wanted only to go back to his island home. He didn't want the trappings of power. Thats what we need a true Ulster Patriot who is not interested in his own profile and selfish ends.

What was that Carson said, something like '' give me men for whom who the lust of office is not desired'' Not correct ,but something like that.

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-01-28, 4:38 PM | Message # 47
Generalissimo
Load ...
I found that Edward Carson quote and its so very true. None of the present bunch could measure up to any of these things mentioned.

God give us men - a time like this demands great hearts, strong minds, true faith and willing hands-

"men whom the lusts of office do not kill,
men whom the spoils of office do not buy,
men who possess opinions and a will
men who love honour, men who cannot lie."

- Sir Edward speaking in December 1913

Ulster Protestants consider themselves to be a separate nation. This nation they call Ulster

RSAUBDate: Saturday, 2011-01-29, 12:25 PM | Message # 48
Colonel general
Group: Moderators
Load ...
Great words from Carson and so true. It’s a pity we didn’t have George Seawright still around, he’s the only modern Unionist political leader of modern times who could have achieved something for our community, given us a political voice and enthusiasm by being pro-active on the streets, not just talking the talk as they say.

The only other loyalist who could have achieved something for our community, was Billy Wright, a man who although tainted by the criminality he was involved with. However he was articulate, he inspired fire in the bellys of our community and stuck fear into the hearts of the enemies of Ulster.

At the moment we’re left with a bunch of ego-mad idiots.

CulzieDate: Saturday, 2011-01-29, 7:23 PM | Message # 49
Generalissimo
Load ...
I've never really met the two men mentioned,though as I did say Geordie was walking alonside me. But I think with both men they would have been shunned by the unionist establishment ...and others. They were a thorn in the side of some people and Billy Wright especially might have got a lot of votes if he had stood later for election. Whether he would have stayed the same or been corrupted by those who he would be mixing with then is another matter. But as he was,he was an icon for the unionist people and maybe thats what annoyed some people.

I said earlier about Geordie and the Club which was started and named after him. Then after a comparative short time-....they disappeared. The guy who started it was from the Donegall Rd area as far as I know

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 12:59 PM | Message # 50
Colonel general
Load ...
I always wondered how the British government would have reacted to having real men of loyalist violence elected with a mandate from the Unionist community, instead of a few individuals most of whom who are renounced violence with no real solid electoral support. I often wonder how the republican would have felt as well having to publicly deal with figures like Billy Wright as their MP or local MLA. It wouldn’t a went down to well, especially if like the PIRA, loyalist violence had continued to occur similar to that of the republicans after 1998.

Obviously it wouldn’t a happened, but it would a been interesting to see what would have happened, if we did have men who were prepared to go to prison and kill for the loyalist cause representing us instead of a bunch of career politicians. Although obviously, there’s been quite a few ex RUC and UDR men who are elected who served during difficult times.

CulzieDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 3:49 PM | Message # 51
Generalissimo
Load ...
Its a very good point which you have made, a scenario which when put like that never occurred to me before. It would have indeed being interesting to see what way the Westminster masters would have handled that. Thats where we fall down in that we are inclined not to back those who step outside the law unless they have rank, and are upper or middle-class. I just wonder if Paisley would have got the crowds behind him if he had been an ordinary 'Mr' or 'Ian' without the 'Rev'. Yes it would have been something to see how the micks would have reacted...to have to do what we now have to do.

Yes there are RUC,UDR men serving as politicans and I respect them for serving,but being within the law they would be acceptable to the Prod community. I appreciate what they did for Ulster but I think they were hidebound in that they couldn't carry the fight to the ira wheras the loyalist paramilitaries could and did. Also when I see the lads servering in Afganistan etc I feel the same. They too are hidebound and not allowed to operate as they should. I asked myself sometimes...what is the point of all this tough training you see them going though on TV programmes. All the 'fit as a fiddle' and armed combat stuff when some scum can sit and detonate a bomb as they are walking past,or even leave it sitting on a road or roadside for them to trigger off. I feel sorry for them in a way,but have the highest respect for them in another way. For knowing all which I have said there they still come forward to serve.

RSAUBDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 5:58 PM | Message # 52
Colonel general
Load ...
Very true, men who have been trained and physically fit for combat, being murdered by cowardly scum, who leave a bomb and detonate it from a safe distance or leave a land mine regardless of the consequences. There was a Prod family down in the countryside called Hanna, who were blew apart by an Ira landmine, children and both parents killed, Teebane massacre, soldier mini bus murders in England and Tyrone, the sort of vermin that the IRA are is exactly the same as the vermin in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unfortunately militant loyalists will never be social to the loyalist electorate, although Billy Wright in the Upper bann constituency could a been interesting as he had the support of the general Protestant community in that heavily divided part of the Province, and the occasional council seat that have been won over the years by the UDP/PUP, but overall Prods just don’t like voting for controversial candidates.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-01-31, 3:58 PM | Message # 53
Generalissimo
Load ...
While recognising that many Irishmen fought in open warfare and were not afraid to face the foe,the title 'the fighting irish'or 'fighting irishmen' has become a bit of a joke. There is nothing to setting a bomb in the ground for someone to walk over. That hardly credits the name 'fighting irish'. I think they are very like the taliban etc in their methods. But the Muslim do self-destruct themselves as sucide bombers whereas the ira strapped innocent people into their car-bombs and sent them to their death.

Re the voting,yes true that was proved with what happened with the UDA's venture into politics and away even before that the UVF's Ken Gibson and the Volunteer Party. Think the reason Davy Ervine did as well as he did was because of his timing and what he was promoting. If Davy had to have paid for the times he was seen and heard on television/radio it would have cost him millions. He was articulate I'll say that but that would have been no use to him if he had not being given a wider audience and the powers that be seen that he got it.

I think Billy Wright too in his own way would have impressed on TV etc but of course that couldn't happen as he wasn't preaching the same message and there would be no 'powers that be' backing.

RSAUBDate: Monday, 2011-01-31, 9:24 PM | Message # 54
Colonel general
Load ...
Indeed in the run up to the Good Friday Agreement the PUP and Gary McMichael and Davy Adams were paraded on the media as the darling boys taking a major step forward for peace in this wee divided part of the Island of Ireland. The North Antrim-Londonderry UDP branches promoted an anti-agreement vote. A man who use to write a lot of the press releases told me for the UDP up here told me that they were totally ignored by the media. What got me about Ervine, while yes he was articulate. I got the impression, that he felt guilty about what he had done, he tried to pass it off as growing up in the environment that he did and bloody friday. Rather than out of actual conviction and love for his Country. Personally some of the policies of the PUP repulse me, I read in a book called UVF that they even sent Nelson Mandela a congratulations when he got released from prison.

CulzieDate: Monday, 2011-01-31, 10:25 PM | Message # 55
Generalissimo
Load ...
Yeah I'm a wee bit cagey about them myself. I knew a couple of fellas who were PUP thought them OK guys but a bit to much to the left for me. As a party they all seem to lean that way,as a matter of fact I seen one of them on that video about loyalists celebrating paddy's day. I don't know how they got to that stage,though I can remember away back in the 70s or so it was creeping in then but I think it was knocked on the head by others. However,it made its comback later on.

Yeah Davy I don't think came from a loyalist background,maybe more middle of the road. I never ever seen him out watching the 1st July parade as it passed near his local or anywhere else. But he is a bit of an icon now. I'd say your right about a love for country. He himself said it was because of Bloody Friday and one of the victims having the same name as himself and who had lived a few streets from him (though he didn't know the fella). Incidentally I drink with that fella's brother most Saturday nights

I think they are into the irish stuff too. They seem to be attracted to that John Hewitt bar and it seems to be very left-wing. One time when we were in the town Buffs we went in there (for a laugh) its all diddley-dee music and up on the wall there were all these left-wing heroes, Chuvara,Mao and a few others. John Hewitt? I think I read in the paper that it is owned by that Unemployment Centre down from the Cathedral a bit.

BTW we had only the one drink...then out.lol

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2011-02-01, 9:52 PM | Message # 56
Colonel general
Load ...
Must head to that bar myself for a nosey.

I think the big problem with these 5th column within our ranks, is some lack a sense of identity, so cling to their so-called 'Irishness', others are bought and paid for lundys. Then you have some who like to blame everything on the big house Unionists and Ian Paisley, due to their rhetoric they got involved in violence, blah blah blah rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. These sort of people are the type who find a lot a common ground with irish republicans. While the true patriots, well they are sent to the side lines, those loyalist prisoners and men who loved the Country, just get on with every day life, while the drags of our community, drag us down like a big rope around our neck.

CulzieDate: Tuesday, 2011-02-08, 3:40 PM | Message # 57
Generalissimo
Load ...
Think you have really have got to the point with the mention of lack of identity. That I believe is at the very heart of all the uncertainty among the loyalist people. After the war there was indeed a strong sense of Britishness but that has slowly evaporated over the years with the other home countries taking on a stronger more regional identity while we dither about. I think we lack confidence in the sense that we are frightened to go for a strong regional identity of our own. I think in the end over a long period of time that could ultimately prove our downfall. The irish have said that they are out to wean us onto an irish identity and with some loyalists already on that road it will not be too hard to accomplish for them.

Yeah I have heard that about the big house unionists. Its mouthed continously by a certain element within loyalism who seem to be passing it on to the younger people. It is in the context it is used that I find fault. Its used as if it was peculiar to Ulster. The big house has always existed in countries thoughout the world but they use it to hammer unionism here in a way that suggests that it only happens here.

I have thought for a long time that there were those who would go to jail and on coming into contact with republicans would be influenced by them as they told their stories of oul oireland and how oppressed they were.and who would also be influenced by the irish tradition and culture. There are so many on our side who have no sense of identity,of who and what they are. Who were not educated about their own Ulster/Ulster Scots history. If they were they might not feel the need to go chasing down the green brick road.

RSAUBDate: Tuesday, 2011-02-08, 10:18 PM | Message # 58
Colonel general
Load ...
Aye, it all comes down to a lack of identity, which obviously results in a lack of confidence, when members of our community come into contact with the Roman Catholics especially in a discussion which is political or culturally orientated.

A sense of Britishness in my eyes, is something that is dieing. We the British are an ethnic group however our nation is being swamped by foreigners, people who are alien to ourselves, the political elite decided decades ago to create a multicultural society, at the expense in their warped and down right evil minds at the expense of our British identity from school age, officially we are not meant to be taught our National Anthem or learn very little if any of our nations history, certainly nothing of the kinship with our fellow Britons throughout the White Commonwealth including South Africa and Zimbabwe etc. If we aren’t taught who we are, then how are we supposed to care?.. But then again, it’s in the blood, that sense of kinship we share, well the scum can try and break it, but it’s the most natural thing in the world and I truly believe that over time people can be made to see for themselves and wake up and get their faces out of their backsides.

CulzieDate: Thursday, 2011-02-10, 3:44 PM | Message # 59
Generalissimo
Load ...
I hope you are right and that the pendlum will swing back. America is behind all of this and have been since WW2 ended. They called the shots and think because they built a multicultural society everyone else should do the same. However,America is a vastly bigger country than the UK where there is room for people to expand and live to their own particular code and ethics. This is not so in the UK. A chapter in God's Frontiersmen was called Cockpit City and it was pointed out that because of Belfast's position stuck between the Divis/Black Mountains and the Castlereagh Hills and the movement of large numbers of people into Belfast it was a recipe for the later rioting which occurred. Two different peoples shoved together in a small area bound in by the surrounding mountains and hills. Maybe not the main reason,but it did play a part in the situation which followed. The same could happen in mainland industrial cities, though most of them don't seem to be as tightly hemmed in as Belfast is.

Reading a bit about the protest days of the 1960s the days which launched the 'civil rights' in Ulster it said that a new generation of young people were determined not to follow the ways of their mother,father and grandparents and that is what happened. The world as it was was to change bigtime. They too played a part in the world we have now. The hippies, flower power,the Beatles and all that was the big sea-change in our society. Having said that there are some people who trace it back to the Frankfurt School after WW1 and they could be right but it wasn't manifested until the babies of 1945 came out of the universities in the 1960s. 1945 was the year when Labour opened up university entrance to everyone. Maybe it was right to do so,but I believe that led to the protest movements of the sixties. Bernadette Devlin was one product of that policy and Michael Farrel another.

CulzieDate: Friday, 2011-03-25, 3:36 PM | Message # 60
Generalissimo
Load ...
This from the Stormont pages 1960. It shows that even way back then some Unionists were for a British Ulster identity. I say some because others wern't,mores the pity. But of course the nationalists were against any such thing. They go into their usual sneering,sniping,scorning ways. Thats something which comes though all the time even when unionists were trying to please them it was never enough. Diamond was the MP (Stormont) for Falls. Patrica McLaughlin was MP (Westminster) for West Belfast. So Diamond, Empey and Robinson though years apart have something in common. And cash before country seems to be in vogue in both cases. But at least it does show that there were people of vision even then. And of course those without vision.

Think when Diamond was waffling on about dividing up a country (the island) he obviously wasn't looking at the mainland.
Pages 699-700
Mr Diamond. Falls. In connection with commercial development I do not know whether or not the Minister of Commerce is prepared to yield to the suggestion of Mrs. McLaughlin, the Member at Westminster for West Belfast, who has urged upon his Department that in connection with the sale of goods the name of this administrative area should be British-Ulster. The Minister should at least convey to the hon. Member for West Belfast that if she is dissatisfied at the end of 40 years because there is so much confusion and that people in Britain and abroad still think that this is part of Ireland, it should convince her and others of their inability even by unnatural or artificial means to divide up a country and to try to destroy its past, its present, its name and its fame.

After all, the linen manufacturers of Northern Ireland, who are quite capable people, have realised the wisdom of trying to sell their products abroad as Irish linen and not as Ulster linen and they realise the value of that. It seems rather late in the day for such a suggestion to come from those who seem to be inspired by stupid political practice and who so dislike even the name and the nationality that exists in the country that they are prepared even to damage our ability to sell our goods abroad by applying to them names which would be completely unintelligible to any of those who hitherto have made substantial purchases in this area.

Forum » ..:: General ::.. » General Discussion » Unionists Insist On Irish For Ulster Goods
Search: